Saturday 1 January 2011

A good start.

The first part of 2011 has been good.
My wonderful son spent the last hour of 2010, off the cuff and without warning he offloaded, telling me what a good year he had experienced because of me, and telling me how and why I was such a great dad. It was tinged with sadness at hearing how sad he felt about his mum, and how she had ignored him over Christmas, added to his birthday. It is this pain I see in his eyes that I wish I could take away, but know I never will.


I was immensely touched and moved to sit and listen to him.
He is only 8. It was a jaw dropping hour.

We then had a drink each, (a treat of Coke for him and a JD and Coke for me), and toasted each other and 2011 whilst watching Big Ben and the fireworks and for an hour and a half life could not have been better.
I told him that every second I had spent with him since I saw him born was a privilege and an honour and that he was so very special, and that no matter what happens or where life takes us I will always be with him, even if only in 'spirit', and that I was proud to be his dad.

We looked at each other, both misty eyed, and hugged. Just one of those life moments.
So...............today we have played games, watched films, eaten well and had a good day.
The view today in our corner of the world therefore is rosy.

Shelf

No comments:

Post a Comment